We are hearing additional and additional about pastors committing suicide. How can that be? Are not pastors supposed to be further-spiritual? Shouldn’t they be the final to contemplate suicide?
It is heart-breaking to hear these stories. We do not want to hear about pastors taking their lives. It may well even make us query our faith.
Right here are some items you have to have to know.
- Pastors are human. Not superhuman, just human.
- Mental illness is not a respecter of persons. It does not care if a person has a “Rev.” in front of their names.
- Pastors are not additional spiritual than other Christians. They are just Christians who have responded to a specific get in touch with.
- Getting spiritual does not avoid mental illness or thoughts of suicide.
- The pressures of pastoral ministry do not make mental illness less difficult.
- Pastors do not get a particular pass from God that protects them from these items.
- Pastors have to have psychological help and neighborhood help.
- Praying does not imply that thoughts of self-harm will just disappear.
- Being aware of Bible verses does not imply that thoughts of self-harm will just disappear.
- Some pastors get to the point exactly where they really feel as if they just cannot go on.
If you are pastor and you are struggling with mental illness and you are thinking of hurting your self, attain out for support quickly. Speak to your physician. Speak to a educated counsellor. Go to the hospital. Do what you have to to get support.