“The much less kind in faith the higher, since God is a Spirit; . . . the extra silent, the extra appropriate to the language of a Spirit.” So mentioned seventeenth century Quaker William Penn, urging Christians to embrace silence as a religious observe.
“Holy Silence: The Quaker Method” extends Penn’s invitation to right now’s readers. Quaker silence shouldn’t be about stillness, as such, however slightly about encountering God in a residing and important holy hush. This e-course encourages men and women to undertake a journey of religious silence. The vacation spot is a quiet interior place the place God teaches us straight.
Pals (as Quakers are formally identified) have been honing their tackle silence for greater than 350 years. It is a silence that invitations us to a right away and private encounter with God. That is as a result of Quakers imagine that once we are silent, then the Spirit of God grants us insights, steerage, and understanding of religious fact. This isn’t mysticism for mysticism’s sake. Quaker silence helps us know God’s will. Figuring out what God desires helps us marry religion with every day life. Holy silence infuses us with God’s spirit and energy in order that we are able to stay faithfully within the frequent ventures of life.
J. Brent Invoice, the retreat chief, is a lifelong member of the Spiritual Society of Pals and has written quite a few books on Quaker religious practices, together with Holy Silence: The Present of Quaker Spirituality, now out there in a brand new version. He’s profiled by S&P as a Residing Religious Trainer. He often wears a button that claims, “I’m a Quaker — in case of emergency, please be quiet.” One reviewer mentioned of him that he is “a considerable religious information, however by no means in a flashy method. Consider — oh, maybe one thing like Mister Rogers Meets the Dalai Lama.” Invoice would not provide knowledge from a Quaker saint, however slightly ideas, struggles, and hopefulness from a fellow pilgrim who has discovered Holy Silence important to his religious growth.
On this on-line retreat, you should have the chance to discover ways to observe a silence deeper than phrases — one that’s residing, important, and reworking. You’ll obtain:
- 12 classes delivered by electronic mail during which J. Brent Invoice shares what Holy Silence is and gives instruments for getting into into it. These instruments embody sensible recommendation and Quaker Queries — a singular type of asking non-directive questions for religious development.
- Mini-practices to be achieved throughout your day associated to the themes of the emails.
- A hyperlink to the Follow Circle, a web based discussion board open 24/7 so that you can share your reflections about this course and skim these of different members world wide. J. Brent Invoice enjoys Follow Circle interactions and might be a part of the dialog.
- Entry to the recording of a one-hour teleconference with J. Brent Invoice held in January 2015 when this e-course was first supplied.
We invite you to discover the Quaker Method of silence:
• A Sacramental Silence
• An Expectant Silence
• An Intimate Silence
• A Silence to Carry With Us
• Silence in a Non-Silent World
• A Time for Silence
• A Area for Silence
• The Silence of Self-Care
• A Refreshing Silence
• A Silence that Sifts
• A Silence that Corrects
• A Silence that Empowers
(four CEHs for Chaplains out there.)