Of their annual Gates Basis Letter, Invoice and Melinda Gates listed three cussed myths about international growth that drive them loopy: 1) that poor nations are doomed to remain poor; 2) that overseas help is a giant waste; and three) that saving lives results in overpopulation.
It’s simple to grasp how infuriating such myths are to the Gateses, who’ve pledged to spend their complete $72 billion fortune on their basis’s save-the-world work.
In an interview about their work, they continued to circle again to the large hole between their proof that interventions work and the persistence of false concepts and incorrect pondering.
This prompted an exploration by Susan Glasser, featured on Politico, of exaggerations and plain untruths about how the USA operates on this planet. She went to diplomats and senators, economists and entrepreneurs, to ask, “What delusion about America’s function on this planet drives you the craziest?”
She gathered responses from 25 thinkers and ended up protecting floor from the dimensions of the U.S. overseas help funds to the commander-in-chief’s energy to vary world occasions, from America’s isolationism to its secret hegemonic machinations.
I share the issues of Invoice and Melinda Gates however have my very own space of ardour. When you have got pledged your life to Christ’s save-the-world work, it’s the myths about Christianity that drive me loopy.
So, in no explicit order, listed here are 25 myths that got here to thoughts fairly rapidly:
1. Christianity is clearly anti-intellectual.
2. To be a Christian is to be judgmental and illiberal.
3. In the event you’re going to comply with what the Bible says about sexual ethics, you must apply every thing it says about weight loss plan and costume and customized within the Outdated Testomony, too.
4. Jesus by no means claimed to be God the Son, the second Particular person of the Trinity, in human kind.
5. A loving God may by no means ship anybody to hell, so both He’s not loving or there’s no hell.
6. The apostle Paul was a misogynist.
7. The New Testomony accounts of Jesus had been written so lengthy after His life that there’s no means of realizing what He actually mentioned or did.
8. All people is aware of you possibly can interpret the Bible any means you need.
9. Any and each fellowship or affiliation of Christians is “the church.”
10. David and Jonathan of the Outdated Testomony had been clearly homosexual lovers.
11. The Bible is so riddled with errors you possibly can’t imagine any of it.
12. The Genesis account forces you to imagine that the Earth is simply about 6,000 years outdated.
13. There isn’t a option to reconcile a superb God and a screwed-up world.
14. The early Christian motion was virtually fully political.
15. The God of the Outdated Testomony is a God of wrath and the God of the New Testomony is a God of affection.
16. There are misplaced books of the Bible that had been suppressed by the early church as a result of they contradict the Bible now we have.
17. A hypocrite is proof that Christianity basically, and Jesus particularly, are false.
18. The 4 gospels of the New Testomony contradict one another.
19. The Bible and science are in direct battle with one another.
20. It’s important to get your act collectively earlier than coming to Christ.
21. You possibly can’t harmonize historical past or archaeology with the Bible.
22. All that church buildings care about is your cash.
23. There are such a lot of translations of the Bible that there’s no means of realizing what it actually says.
24. Not one of the 4 gospels within the New Testomony had been first-hand, eyewitness accounts.
25. Jesus by no means meant to begin a church.
Now if solely I may go on The Tonight Present with Jimmy Fallon, like Invoice Gates, and attempt to set the report straight. However you will be looking out for Thursday’s weblog known as “25 Truths” for some deeper insights on this.
James Emery White
Susan B. Glasser, “Mythbusters,” Politico, January 21, 2014, learn on-line.
Editor’s Be aware
This weblog was initially printed in 2013, and the Church & Tradition Group thought you’ll get pleasure from studying it once more.
In regards to the Writer
James Emery White is the founding and senior pastor of Mecklenburg Neighborhood Church in Charlotte, NC, and the ranked adjunct professor of theology and tradition at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, the place he additionally served as their fourth president. His newest ebook, Meet Technology Z: Understanding and Reaching the New Submit-Christian World, is obtainable on Amazon. To get pleasure from a free subscription to the Church & Tradition weblog, go to ChurchAndCulture.org, the place you possibly can view previous blogs in our archive and browse the newest church and tradition information from all over the world. Observe Dr. White on Twitter, Fb and Instagram.