It’s deplorable and considerably shocking to look at Danny Danon, Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations, wave a Bible at a session of the Safety Council to defend his nation’s theft of Palestinian land within the West Financial institution. He’s definitely impressed by his boss, Benjamin Netanyahu, who, though secular, quotes the Bible incessantly to promote his expansionist agenda.
The misuse of sacred texts to attain political positive aspects has a protracted historical past. The Bible has typically been manipulated by false prophets, corrupt spiritual leaders, and shrewd politicians to help their self-serving agendas. Within the Center Ages, popes and emperors quoted the Bible to justify their affect on nations and armies towards committing grave atrocities. The Crusades and the Inquisition are examples. European powers supported by church leaders quoted the Bible to defend slavery and to justify colonialism. In newer historical past, the Bible has been incessantly used to help the occupation and ethnic cleaning of Palestine.
As soon as, once I was interviewed by a Campus Campaign TV program and was presenting a substitute for Christian Zionism, a girl known as the TV station and commented, “The visitor speaker has no proper to name himself a pastor or a follower of Christ as a result of he should not know his Bible.” On this woman’s worldview, true Christians are those that help Israel’s claims to Palestinian lands.
Regrettably, many Bible-believing Christians have been taught that the U.S. invasions of Iraq, the destruction of Syria, and the plight of the Palestinian individuals are all according to God’s end-time plan as predicted within the Bible. Some Evangelical leaders and non secular TV hosts declare to be impressed by the Bible when calling on U.S. presidents to wage wars on majority Muslim international locations. TV evangelist and pastor John Hagee, on the idea of his understanding of the scriptures, known as on President Obama to invade Iran. If, God forbid, the U.S. invades Iran in a future state of affairs, some Evangelical Christians would be the loudest cheerleaders for such an invasion, as they have been when the U.S. invaded Iraq. I vividly keep in mind one event, throughout the 1967 Arab-Israeli Battle, when college students and workers on the Bible School I attended in Switzerland have been in a state of jubilation at the results of the conflict. They have been conditioned by way of books, brochures, sermons, lectures, and TV applications to imagine that Israel’s victories over its Arab enemies are the achievement of biblical prophecies.
Right now, Neo-conservatives, hyper-Zionists, and Christian Zionists are acquired with open arms at Trump’s White Home. They helped Trump to win the 2016 election, and now the president is endorsing their eschatologically based mostly agendas. This explains why Trump goes towards all logic and worldwide consensus to grant Israel full management over all of Jerusalem, strikes the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, terminates U.S. humanitarian help to Palestinians, and accepts Israel’s annexation of the Golan Heights. Bible-waving within the face of injustice could serve Israel’s quick agenda and produce pleasure to those that speculate in regards to the finish instances, however the dangerous results of Bible manipulation are immense. Following are a number of of the results:
- Waving the Bible to dam justice is in essence an assault on the true message of the Bible: Danon waved the Bible as if to say the Bible grants unique rights to Israelis on the entire Holy Land whereas completely ignoring the rights of Palestinians to any a part of their historic homeland. This logic goes counter to biblical ideas in each the Outdated and New Testaments that instruct the trustworthy to not steal or covet their neighbors’ possessions. The Bible additionally teaches that forcing folks out of their land is a criminal offense. Look at the next passages: “Woe to you who add home to deal with and be a part of subject to subject until no area is left and you reside alone within the land.” – Isaiah 5:8. (Learn additionally the story of Ahab, Jezebel, and Naboth, 1Kings 9:1-26.)
- Distortion of the character of God: Danon’s assumption that God is just for Jews and that God doesn’t care about different folks and their aspirations is an assault on the character of God who cares for and loves all folks. (John 3:16 and Isaiah 45:22)
- Deceptive: In his speech, Danon made many false assumptions as to the period of the Jewish possession of Palestine. Any goal historian will know that Palestinians have lived within the Holy Land so long as Jews lived there, if not longer. It’s sacrilegious for an Israeli ambassador to wave the Bible whereas uttering half-truths and falsehoods.
- Obstruction to the development of peace: To attain a simply peace, each Israelis and Palestinians want to understand that each lived within the land for hundreds of years and each have deep historic and emotional connections to the land. No aspect ought to deny or delegitimize the historical past of the opposite aspect. Danon, waving the Bible, was denying Palestinian historical past and Palestinians’ connection to the land. Such rhetoric provides obstacles within the path of peace and reconciliation.
- An assault on human dignity: Danon’s waving the Bible earlier than the Safety Council of the U.N. is an insult to the intelligence and dignity of world leaders and the international locations they symbolize. Does Danon assume that these leaders usually are not conscious of the Balfour Declaration, the U.N. partition of Palestine in 1947, the ethnic cleaning of Palestine in 1948 and after? Is he ignoring the truth that the U.N. voted repeatedly and overwhelmingly that Israeli settlements within the West Financial institution are unlawful and an impediment to peace?
- Indifference to human struggling: The lingering Arab-Israeli battle has triggered immense struggling to thousands and thousands of individuals around the globe however particularly to Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims. Danon’s waving the Bible serves solely to extend the battle and therefore the struggling. When Israel involves the purpose of wanting peace along with her neighbors, her leaders will pay attention to the worldwide consensus on the U.N. fairly than having her ambassador wave the Bible to take care of a regime of oppression, dying, and struggling.
The Israeli Ambassador ought to cease waving the Bible and begin studying it. As soon as he reads the Bible, he could uncover the next phrases from the prophet Isaiah: “Be taught to do good; search justice, appropriate oppression; deliver justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s trigger.” (Isaiah 1:17)
This text initially appeared at christianzionism.org.