The cornerstone of the church was laid on Palm Sunday, April 11, 1954, and Msgr. Walter Hardy led the ceremony. Building was immediately completed and the initial Mass was 3 months later, on July 18, 1954. On the identical day, 50 youngsters received Initially Holy Communion and a parish college was established the identical year.
Like several parochial schools, St. Robert Bellarmine struggled with declining enrollment and rising debt in the 21st Century. They planned to merge and kind a regional college along with St. Genevieve in Livonia, St. Damian in Westland, and St. Raphael in Garden City. These plans did not come to fruition and all 4 schools closed right after the 2014-2015 academic year.
St. Robert Bellarmine clustered with St. Hilary and St. John Bosco in 2012. St. Hilary closed in 2014 but the other two remained clustered. Final year, a transition group started the extended-term arranging procedure for the cluster. A recommendation was produced that the two parishes merge to kind the new parish of St. John XXIII, successful July 1, 2018. It is most likely that a single of the two churches will close quickly.
The two existing pastors, Fr. Richard Osebold and Fr. Richard Leliaert, respectively, will each retire shortly. Fr. Leliaert has been pastor of St. Robert Bellarmine considering that 2006 and has been granted senior priest status at the age of 77. Bishop Emeritus Walter Hurley will be administrator and assisted by Fr. Gregory Piatt.
The Paschal candle and baptismal font stand in the middle of the nave a bust of the namesake at the back of the church.
St. Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary at a side altar BVM and kid Jesus stand in a niche behind the side altar.
St. Jude, St. Joseph the Worker, and the Great Shepherd in the identical niche.
Most of the windows are clear, with the exception of eight stained-glass windows behind the altar.
Much more information: parish website + Detroit Cost-free Press