St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish was established in June, 1953, with Fr. Carlson Robideau as founding pastor. The very first Mass was celebrated on July 10 at Sudman College in Allen Park later Masses have been held at Allen Park Higher College.
|Fr. Carlson Robideau |
The parish purchased farmland in the northeast section of Taylor Township and the groundbreaking for a permanent church was on November eight, 1953. A church with capacity for 1,000 was constructed at a price of $125,000 ($1.two million now). 1,600 individuals attended the very first Mass in the new church on September 26, 1954. Cardinal Mooney committed the church a month later.
On November 20, 1955, ground was broken for a college and convent. Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Michigan, would teach at the college for decades.
Fr. Robideau retired in October, 1975, just after 22 years as pastor. His former assistant, Fr. Edmund Borycz, was succeesor. St. Cyril Church was renovated in 1979-1980 and re-committed by Bishop Schoenherr on December 21, 1980.
|Stations of the Cross line the back wall, along with flags and a banner of the Holy Name of Mary.|
In June, 1989, Fr. Borycz was assigned to be a chaplain at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. Fr. Eugene Wojtewicz succeeded as third pastor on September 9, 1989. St. Cyril Parish celebrated its 40th anniversary in 1993 and Fr. Gary Morelli was installed as fourth pastor.
St. Cyril College closed in 2000 and consolidated with St. Paschal Baylon and St. Constance to come to be Taylor Catholic College. Classes have been held at St. Paschal and the other websites closed.
|Tall, narrow windows on each sides of the sanctuary.|
Fr. Bernard Fraser was installed as the fifth and final pastor on August 17, 2003. Cardinal Maida celebrated the 50th anniversary of St. Cyril Parish on October 12, 2003.
|The sanctuary of St. Cyril Church was renovated in early 2006|
In May possibly, 2007, it was announced that St. Cyril would merge with St. Paschal Baylon Parish. A transition committee determined that St. Paschal Church, two miles southwest, would close and St. Cyril Church would stay active. The very first Mass for Our Lady of the Angels Parish was on November 25, 2007. Fr. Fraser remained as pastor of the new parish for two years.
|The former St. Paschal Baylon Church|
Fr. Dariusz Strzalkowski has been pastor considering that 2009. In addition to his responsibilities as pastor, he usually celebrates Mass in Polish at Our Lady of the Scapular in Wyandotte.
Stained-glass windows have been restored and inlaid in a pair of doors.
A substantial crucifix hangs in the vestibule the baptismal font, Paschal candle, and holy oils outdoors of the sacristy.
St. Therese, the Divine Mercy, and Our Lady of Guadalupe on the east side of the nave.
St. Francis, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Infant of Prague on the west side.
Saturday Vigil Mass is at four:00pm preceded by Confessions at three:00pm. Sunday Masses are at eight:00am, 10:00am, and Noon. Day-to-day Mass is at eight:45am each weekday, except for Wednesday. The parish delivers Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament just after Mass on Thursdays, till six:00pm.
|St. John Paul II, St. Anne, and Mother of Perpetual Aid on the west side of the nave|
For a lot more information: parish web-site + parish history
Video of the final Mass for St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish: YouTube