There are only two stories of Jesus’ birth in the Gospels — Luke’s and Matthew’s. For this prayer, we will be utilizing lectio divina (praying with scripture) with Matthew’s nativity story.
When praying scripture, it is extra critical that you let the scripture to speak to you than it is to intellectually fully grasp it. There is a time and spot for interpretation and historical context, but lectio divina is not about placing it all with each other and producing sense of scripture, it is about experiencing scripture as a living window to the Divine. Latin for “divine reading,” lectio divina is a Benedictine meditation with scripture.
- Study Matthew’s birth narrative by means of extra than as soon as. Notice any word, phrase or image that appears to resonate deeply inside your heart.
The Birth of Jesus the Messiah
18 Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took spot in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but prior to they lived with each other, she was located to be with youngster from the Holy Spirit. 19 Her husband Joseph, getting a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. 20 But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and stated, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the youngster conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his persons from their sins.” 22 All this took spot to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord by means of the prophet:
23 “Appear, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel,”
which indicates, “God is with us.” 24 When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him he took her as his wife, 25 but had no marital relations with her till she had borne a son and he named him Jesus.
- Let the word, phrase or image that resonates for you remain with you. Pray with that phrase. Use it like a mantra to breathe with.
- Invest a couple of minutes reflecting on the word, phrase or image. How does it connect with your life currently? How does it connect with what is going on in the globe currently? What could God be saying to you in this word, phrase or image?
- Express to God your desires, hopes, desires and gratitude. Let this be a time of unbridled conversation with God.
- Sink into deep silence as you close.
- If you want, create down your word, phrase or image and journal about your prayer expertise.
For extra about spiritual path as I practice it, verify out my site. Most of these prayer practices come from my book 50 Approaches to Pray. If interested, it can be bought right here.