Ellen Wehn is the Director of Children’s Ministry at Initially United Methodist Church Owasso in Owasso, Oklahoma. Ellen also has expertise in church daycare and week day preschool ministries.
Easter is a time when churches prepare for guests. Of course we want all of our guests to really feel welcome. We make confident there are volunteers in the parking lot to enable with parking, as nicely as volunteers inside – obtainable to give directions to classes. Easter Lilies line the altar in maintaining with the occasion.
But what about one particular of the most crucial locations for young households going to your church?
The nursery is one particular of the most crucial rooms in the church. It can imply the distinction in a loved ones producing the choice of returning to your church just after Easter. This location of the church ought to constantly be a warm atmosphere for these young households. If the nursery does not really feel welcoming – and most importantly – protected, it will not matter how a lot of volunteers you have assisting with parking and providing directions or how a lot of Easter Lilies are lining the altar. These households will not be back.
Right here are some strategies to enable you get your nursery prepared to greet Easter guests.
- TOYS: The church nursery appears to be the spot men and women bring toys that their young children have outgrown. Regrettably, some of these old toys can make the nursery appear like a forgotten location. Take some time prior to Easter to inspect all the toys. Get rid of old and broken toys, and toys that appear dirty.
- Security: A main concern for all parents is security. Are all your nursery workers and volunteers background-checked and CPR certified? Is your nursery there some type of boundary to limit only men and women with background checks into the nursery? These points enable parents really feel safe about leaving their youngster with you. Do not be afraid to post a sign letting every person know about your security procedures and background checks.
- HAZARDS: Appear about for any security hazards. For instance – If you have no door to a restroom in the nursery, be confident there is a child gates to maintain a toddler from going into a bathroom. Harmful things want elevated beyond the attain of babies. Electrical outlets ought to be covered. Verify for rips in the altering pad. These are points that going to parents will see.
- A CALM SPACE: This may well be a superior time to update the appear of your nursery by providing it a fresh coat of paint. Try to remember, the youngster is separating from their mother, you want this to be a incredibly calm location. Stay away from a vibrant colour on the wall with bold styles or substantial murals.  You want to decide on a incredibly soft colour. Gray is incredibly well-known appropriate now and incredibly calm. You can constantly add a couple of locations of colour in the area to give it some pop, but be confident to emphasize a calm feeling.
- DECORATING THE NURSERY: A terrific way to decorate your nursery is with photographs of your pleased babies in your nursery. A single of my preferred photographs we have hanging in the nursery is a six month old youngster playing with one particular of our pastors.
- HOSPITALITY Area: Some parents are not comfy leaving their youngster in the nursery. Is there a area you can have obtainable for mothers to nurse, alter diapers, or just calm a fussy youngster? Even superior, stream the worship service into the area.
- FINAL TOUCHES: Assure the nursery smells good! Use an proper, protected device that can emit good scents (the scent demands to be mild and not more than powering). Some soft music playing aids with a relaxing drop off time.
- GOING Household: Be confident to offer the parents a report they can take with them of how a lot of instances the youngster was changed, as nicely as bottles or snacks they have had. Include things like a couple of facts about activities to show the going to parents that their young children are kept active anytime achievable.