Lots of pastors, music leaders, and production personnel are breathing a deep sigh of relief following this previous weekend. After all the arranging, strategizing, prayer, preparation, and practice, the Easter weekend service(s) lastly occurred. Every thing (for the most element) came with each other and folks had been effectively served. The music was moving, the preaching potent, and the effect exhilarating. And all through the planet, thousands of folks had been baptized and saved for the glory of God.
But you may be beginning to wonder what you are going to do subsequent Sunday. Perhaps you are even asking oneself, “How do I retain this coming Sunday from getting a major letdown?” The anxiousness is currently setting in.
Right here are some causes why we can be tempted to consider subsequent Sunday may possibly not be rather as “amazing” as this previous Sunday:
- No doubt your church was like most in that you saw an enhanced quantity of unbelieving guests, guests, and family members members who consider that Easter and Christmas are the only acceptable times to fulfill their religious obligation.
- You almost certainly don’t have as a great deal in the spending budget for this coming Sunday as you did for Easter. That signifies you and others might not to place as a great deal work or thought into it.
- The folks in your church almost certainly received every day reminders last week that Easter was coming. This coming Sunday will almost certainly sneak up on them like it does every single week. They may possibly not prepare as a great deal nor look forward to it so eagerly.
- Soon after the hyper-preparation major up to Easter possibly you are definitely seeking forward to the chance to get back to regular. Some leaders will not consider as very carefully nor intentionally about the cross and resurrection and will pick songs that folks just love.
- You may possibly be much less focused on arranging the service as a complete, and consequently, much less focused on how every little thing fits with each other.
All these variables and far more contribute to the nagging sensation that this coming Sunday may possibly not be your finest work. That is, till you start out to think about all the issues that will be the exact same:
- This coming Sunday Jesus will be just as alive as he was this previous Sunday! In reality, 1 of causes we collect every Sunday is due to the fact Jesus rose from the dead on the very first day of the week. In that sense every Sunday is a celebration of the resurrection.
- Jesus’ substitutionary death and glorious resurrection will continue to be relevant to our lives and the best news we have to give folks. Practically nothing we do on any Sunday – Easter, Christmas, or otherwise – will make Jesus appear greater than he definitely is. All we can hope to do is point to it far more faithfully and clearly. And we can seek to do that every single week.
- God by means of his Spirit will nevertheless be with his folks as we collect. What is most eternally impacting on any provided Sunday is not the size of our production but the particulars of what Jesus really achieved for these who trust in him. He lived the life of obedience we never ever could. He took the wrath of God in our spot on the cross. God vindicated his atoning function by raising him from the dead. He now lives in us by his Spirit and is altering us into his likeness (two Cor. five:21 Rom. three:23-26 Rom. 10:9 Rom. eight:11 two Cor. three:18).
- Most most likely unbelievers will nevertheless be coming to your gathering this coming Sunday.
- We can sing songs about the resurrection any Sunday! That involves every song we sang at my church this previous week – His Name is Jesus, O My Soul, Arise, Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery, and All Glory Be Forever. Not to mention songs like In Christ Alone, Man of Sorrows, Just before the Throne of God Above, Behold our God, and a host of other folks.
And if that is not encouraging sufficient, right here are some issues that will really be greater this coming Sunday.
- We might have fewer distractions in terms of preparing charts, administrating folks, and organizing tech particulars. That signifies we can give far more time to the content material we’re proclaiming and singing about.
- We’ll be back to the “normal” routine of life which will only highlight that the energy of the gospel is not dependent on big productions. God meets us and adjustments us in the messiness and sin of our every day lives.
- We’ll be reminded that the earth-shattering, life-transforming fantastic news of Jesus Christ is worth declaring and living for every single week.
So we do not have to wait till the subsequent major vacation to anticipate God to do incredible issues in our Sunday service. All the elements we definitely need – the Word of God, the gospel, and the Holy Spirit – are available to us 52 Sundays of every single year.
Which really should make this coming Sunday some thing to appear forward to.
[This is an edited version of a piece I posted in 2014.]