I was flipping by way of my Facebook feed the other day when I occurred upon Mary Colbert, a self-proclaimed Christian activist speaking on Jim Bakker’s Television show. In the clip, she stated that Donald Trump is “the selected 1 of God” and that if people “… come against the selected 1 of God, you are bringing upon you and your youngsters and your children’s youngsters curses like you have in no way observed.”
Let me state that an additional way. If I oppose Donald Trump, God will curse me, my youngsters, and my grandchildren.
I’ve believed a lot about what Ms. Colbert stated more than the final 24 hours. I’ve come to comprehend that she represents the public face of what I’ve come to consider of as American Christianity. Now do not confuse American Christianity with Christianity in America.
Christianity requires on several types in this county. What I term American Christianity is a distinctive type of Christian expression that has come to the fore more than the final 150 years and which, I assert, has small to do with the simple tenets of what I’ll contact Faithful Christianity.
The basic precepts of Faithful Christianity are extremely straightforward and can be located in each the Old and New Testaments. An Old Testament instance comes from the prophet Micah six:eight: “And what does the LORD call for of you? To act justly and to like mercy and to stroll humbly with your God.”
Jesus himself articulates the two most essential traits of a Christian in Matthew 26.“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and thoughts.” This is the 1st and most essential commandment. The second most essential commandment is like this 1. And it is, “Love other people as substantially as you like your self.” All the laws of Moses and the books of the prophets are primarily based on these two commandments.
To be a Faithful Christian all you have to do is like God, act justly, show mercy, and stroll by way of life with humility. Fairly straightforward ideal?
So how does American Christianity reflect these commandments? Maybe the ideal way to comprehend the distinction is to use a literary method from higher college English literature. Let’s examine and contrast American Christianity with Faithful Christianity.
- Faithful Christianity seeks peace and reconciliation in between men and women and nations. American Christianity espouses confrontation and preemptive war.
- Faithful Christianity turns the other cheek. American Christianity carries a gun.
- Faithful Christianity treats the foreigner amongst us with dignity and respect. American Christianity denigrates the foreigner and labels him or her criminal.
- Faithful Christianity gives forgiveness. American Christianity assigns blame.
- Faithful Christianity gives mercy. American Christianity seeks revenge and retribution.
- Faithful Christianity serves the needy amongst us. American Christianity builds l$160 million temples to its ego across the street from homeless shelters.
- Faithful Christianity stands in awed silence at the birth of Christ. American Christianity turns Christ’s birth into a multimillion dollar vaudeville show total with singing, dancing, and a Santa sleigh suspended on cables from the roof of the sanctuary.
- Faithful Christianity frees itself from the material planet in order to comply with Christ. American Christianity totally embraces American consumerism.
- Faithful Christianity submits to the cross. American Christianity wraps itself in the flag.
- Faithful Christianity does not judge the lives of other people. American Christianity condemns that which does not conform to its ideology.
- Faithful Christianity confronts the energy structure in pursuit of justice. American Christianity wields energy to oppress other people.
American Christianity is nondenominational in that it transcends Christian traditions. It can’t be named fundamentalist considering the fact that it ignores the basic teachings of Christ. I have observed Presbyterian churches that embrace American Christianity and Baptist churches that do not.
American Christianity is a cancer consuming the very important organs of the physique of Christ.
Regrettably, American Christianity is the public face of Christianity in this nation nowadays. Daily Americans seldom see the Faithful Christian serving meals at the Austin Street Shelter or The Bridge. They do not see Faithful Christians giving no cost health-related or legal solutions to the poor. They do not see the Faithful Christians at the Vickery Meadow Finding out Center teaching English to immigrants or assisting them acquire citizenship.
Alternatively, they see American Christians calling for the expulsion of immigrants and the banning of refugees. They see condemnation of ladies and homosexuals and calls to deprive them of their civil rights. They see the hatred of these who profess diverse faiths and calls to wage war against them.
America Christianity is the antithesis of the teachings of Christ and the life to which Faithful Christians are named.
American Christianity is the religion of Constantine.
It is the religion of Rome.
It is the religion of empire.